Innovation Ohio Education Fund: Racial Justice Fellowship (2022)
Innovation Ohio Education Fund (IOEF) is seeking a talented and motivated Racial Justice Junior Fellow to begin as early as February 2022. The position will support our work on a new project we launched with support from the Ohio State Bar Foundation: A Justice Agenda for Black Women and Girls.
The project will conduct research into current criminal justice and legal policies passed or pending in the Statehouse that impact, harm, or support Black women and girls. It will also explore policy solutions to promote justice, develop messaging materials to amplify our findings, and engage in public education efforts around the issue, our findings, and our recommendations.
Through this program, the RJ Fellow will gain valuable knowledge on how the legislative process works at the Ohio General Assembly and in Congress. Additionally, they will have the opportunity to learn hands-on experience about how non-profits, elected officials, and advocacy groups work together to enact change at the local, state, and national level.
The Fellowship will provide ample opportunities to directly interact with elected officials, advocates, and policy thought leaders in Ohio. Fellows will serve as ambassadors for the mission and vision of Innovation Ohio Education Fund, and they will play a key role in helping the organization fulfill its commitment to racial justice.
About the Position:
Under the supervision of IOEF staff, the Fellows will have the opportunity to grow in the field of policy and advocacy. Duties may include:
- Conducting research and analysis on criminal justice policy
- Supporting the development and advancement of project deliverables, such as fact sheets and research reports
- Providing expert guidance on policy development and research related to criminal justice policy
- Supporting policymaker education (i.e. reports, legislative briefings, meetings, etc.)
- Monitoring legislative committees and activity
- Developing communications content, such as email newsletters or social media postings
- Assisting outreach and engagement with key stakeholders
- Fulfilling other tasks as needed that align with the mission and vision of the project
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Experience working on Ohio policy, politics, and/or systems change (research, analysis, development of campaigns, etc.)
- Experience working with diverse network membership (in terms of ethnicity, race, gender identity, age, sector, etc.)
- Background or experience with working on racial justice and/or criminal justice policy
- Proficient in use of MS office and Google Docs
- Detail oriented, good judgment and decision-making skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and work independently (as this is a virtual position)
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Ability to do research and distill it down into a concise, intuitive narrative
- Dependability, commitment to the work and passion for social, racial, and gender justice
Position Type: Junior Fellowship
Salary Level: Program stipend available
Approximate Hours Per Week: 7-15 hours per week with flexible scheduling
Duration: Beginning as early as February 2022 with a preferred end date in December 2022, flexibility on length of program
Location: Remote/virtual, with in-person opportunities in Columbus, Ohio given proper COVID-19 safety precautions. This is primarily a virtual position so all applicants must have the capacity to work remotely.
To apply: Email your application to Erin Ryan at email@example.com with your resume, cover letter, and 1-2 writing samples with the subject line ‘RJ Fellow_Name’. Please be sure to combine your cover letter, resume/CV, and sample writing assignment or work product into one PDF file and attach this combined document
Innovation Ohio operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: Innovation Ohio and the Innovation Ohio Education Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name Innovation Ohio. Innovation Ohio Education Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. Innovation Ohio is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
Innovation Ohio is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at Innovation Ohio — it is the foundation of what we do.
Innovation Ohio recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.